One of the writers/bloggers I am following these days is Pam Hogeweide, and this week she is hosting 5 Things You Don’t Know About Me. Her post was fun, so I thought I would join in!
Here are 5 Things:
1. My two favorite foods are Pho and Spaghetti–possibly because both involve noodles. Spaghetti is pretty common, but in case you haven’t heard of the goodness that is Pho–let me introduce you! Pho is a steaming bowl of vietnamese soup that is traditionally poured over long rice noodles. It usually involves meat or chicken, and when you are served Pho in a restaurant, you are also given a plate with basil leaves, lime wedges, jalepeno slices, and bean sprouts. You tear the basil up and put it in the steaming broth, along with the bean sprouts. Then you add the jalepeno if you want, and squeeze lime juice into the broth. It is amazing, and if you have a cold it is as good if not better than your mom’s Chicken noodle soup!
2. I love to buy and eat locally grown, seasonal food as much as possible. We are blessed to live in the middle of farm country and have an amazing farmers market, which helps make this possible. We have found though that by supporting our local farmers, we are the ones who have been blessed over and over. There is nothing like fresh produce, or the taste of blueberries and strawberries when you pick them yourself! And by trying to eat food only when its in season, we are finding we are that much more grateful for the food we eat! (I can’t wait to go apple picking this weekend!)
3. My favorite part time job was at a coffee shop in college. Though partly to blame for my to-this-day coffee addiction, there was something incredibly peaceful about opening the shop at 5AM–the smell of coffee brewing, filling the pastry case with fresh muffins and donuts, and seeing the first customer smile gratefully, as you handed them their first cup of coffee of the day. (In case you were wondering, I am a morning person)
4. I was part of the Math Team in High School. Yes, there is such a thing, and no, I am not really good at math! I joined purely because my friends wanted me to, and so I was not an asset to the team. Thankfully, the math teacher/advisor leading it liked me enough to let me stay. And it looked good on my college applications!
5. Finally, I have been listening to Of Monsters and Men a lot lately. I have to say one of my favorite songs of theirs, is the song Love, Love, Love. Even though it is about a human relationship, it is how I have felt about my relationship with God, so many times. He keeps loving, even when we struggle to.